04 January 2012

What I Made Wednesday


Well, as you can see, I've done a little re-vamping of my blog. I changed my header, added some pages, and rearranged the layout. I wanted to make it look more organized. I like having just one side column, but all that information became just too crowded and confusing. So I now have two columns, one on each side.

I also added "sponsors" on the right. I don't have enough followers or traffic to justify charging anyone for sponsors, but I like being able to direct people to other creative business owners. And since they are not technically sponsoring my blog, I am labeling them as "friends".

I even organized my social media buttons on the right under "Find Me". The buttons I had there originally just gave me a headache to look at them - so disorganized and messy! I like that they match now. I really liked designing them!

I've also been focusing on my new line, launching on Monday (GAH! so soon!). I have eight vintage cover journals ready to bind, and two more books with pages still to size, cut, fold and pierce. I find that I enjoy the effect of the coptic stitch, but using vintage book covers takes up more paper than with the leather covers. With leather, I can just cut the leather to fit the paper, making it easy to use the entire sheet. But with vintage covers, I have to measure and cut the papers to fit the covers. But the end result clearly is worth it. Wouldn't you agree?


Trees Hide

7 comments:

  1. I love the social media buttons - far better, and the branding is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great shirley. good luck with the new line

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley, I agree about your comments on the extra work cutting paper to suit vintage covers. As you say, it is worth it in the end, but can take twice as long to complete a book. I need to invest in a good guillotine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do I, Phil! I have only a small paper cutter, which will let me cut 5 pages or so at a time, but not much more than that. It does get time consuming...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be doing a great job with the paper cutter, Shirley. I use a craft knife and a cutting board. I can cut the pages & signatures OK, though finishing the book once the book is sewn is a challenge...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!